Policy Briefs and Advisory Notes
- Opportunities and Challenges in Enhancing in Agricultural Development in Zambia: Advisory to the Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Planning and Development, and Ministry of Industry, Trade and Commerce. October 12, 2016
- Load Shedding and Charcoal Use in Zambia: What are the Implications on Forest Resources? Cliff Dlamini, Kaala B. Moombe, Stephen Syampungani, and Paul C. Samboko. No. 85. September 2016.
- Towards Gender Mainstreaming in Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, and Climate Change Programs in Zambia. Cliff Dlamini and Paul Samboko. No. 84. September 2016.
- Improved Agricultural Technology Adoption in Zambia: Are Women Farmers Being Left Behind? Thelma Namonje-Kapembwa and Antony Chapoto. No. 83. September 2016.
- What Factors Drive Smallholder Crop Diversification in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa and Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. No. 82. August, 2016.
- Lessons Learnt from the Implementation of the E-voucher Pilot. Auckland N. Kuteya, Chinyama Lukama, Antony Chapoto, and Vincent Malata. No. 81. July, 2016.
- Which Large-scale Agricultural Commercialisation Models Offer the Best Opportunities for Improved Local Livelihoods in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa and Crispin Matenga. No. 80. June, 2016.
- Relationship between Large-scale Agricultural Investors and Local Communities: Lessons from Two Investments in Zambia. Kerstin Nolte and Mitelo Subakanya. No. 79. April, 2016.
- Nutrition and Food Security: The Role of Forest Resources in Eastern Zambia. Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka and Asunta Simoloka. No. 78. March, 2016.
- Factors Limiting Smallholder Cattle Commercialization in Zambia. Mary Lubungu, Nicholas J. Sitko, and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. No. 77. February, 2016.
- 2015/16 Zambian Maize Market Outlook and Regional Analysis. Market Outlook No. 1. Brian Chisanga and Antony Chapoto
- Can Horticultural Market Agents Play a Role in the Development of Cost-Effective and Sustainable Price Information Systems? No. 76. Munguzwe Hichaambwa and Nyamwaya Munthali
- Does Customary Land Tenure System Encourage Local Forestry Management in Zambia? A Focus on Wood Fuel. No. 75. Brian P. Mulenga, Chewe Nkonde, and Hambulo Ngoma.
- Agricultural Commercialization and Child Nutrition: Lessons from the Eastern Province of Zambia. No. 74. Christian Kuhlgatz and Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka.
- The Paradox of High Mealie Meal Prices amidst Abundance: Maize Grain to Mealie Meal Price Transmission in Zambia. No. 73. Brian Chisanga, Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka and Antony Chapoto.
- Is Smallholder Horticulture the Unfunded Rural Poverty Reduction Option in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Stephen Kabwe, and Jordan Chamberlin. No. 72. July, 2015.
- Is FISP Reducing Poverty among Smallholder Farm Households in Zambia? Nicole M. Mason and Solomon T. Tembo. No. 71. May 2015.
- Opportunities and Challenges in Enhancing Agricultural Development in Zambia. Advisory Note to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock. February, 2015.
- Does Gender Matter when Evaluating the Economic Impacts of Smallholder Land Titling in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Jordan Chamberlin, and Nicholas Sitko. No. 70. January, 2015.
- Does The Current Sugar Market Structure Benefit Consumers And Sugarcane Growers? Brian Chisanga, Ferdinand H. Meyer, Alex Winter-Nelson, and Nicholas J. Sitko. No. 69. December, 2014.
- Climate Trends and Farmers’ Perceptions of Climate Change in Zambia. Brian P. Mulenga and Ayala Wineman. No. 68. December, 2014.
- Creating Scarcity From Abundance: Bumper Harvests, High Prices, And The Role Of State Interventions In Zambian Maize Markets. Auckland N. Kuteya and Nicholas J. Sitko. No. 67. May, 2014.
- Can Increasing Smallholder Farm Size Broadly Reduce Rural Poverty in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa and T. S. Jayne. No. 66. May, 2014.
- What Explains Minimal Usage of Minimum Tillage Practices in Zambia? Evidence from District-representative Data. Hambulo Ngoma, Brian P. Mulenga, and T.S. Jayne. No. 65. April, 2014.
- Conservation Farming Adoption among Smallholder Cotton Farmers in Zambia, 2002 to 2011. Stephen Kabwe, Philip P. Grabowski, Steven Haggblade, and Gelson Tembo. No. 64. March, 2014.
- Does Land Titling Increase Smallholder Agricultural Productivity in Zambia? Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Nicholas Sitko, and Jordan Chamberlin. No. 63. February, 2014.
- Challenges of Smallholder Soybean Production and Commercialization in Eastern Province of Zambia. Mary Lubungu, William Burke, and Nicholas J. Sitko. No. 62. November, 2013.
- Smallholder Farmers Participation in Livestock Market in Zambia. Mary Lubungu, Antony Chapoto, and Gelson Tembo. No. 61. August, 2013.
- Institutional Models for Accelerating Agricultural Commercialization: Evidence from Maize, Cotton and Horticulture. Antony Chapoto, Steven Haggblade, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Stephen Kabwe, Steven Longabaugh, Nicholas Sitko and David Tschirley. No. 60. May, 2013.
- How Can the Zambian Government Improve the Targeting of the Farmer Input Support Program? Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka, Stephen Kabwe, Auckland Kuteya, and Nicole M. Mason. No. 59. February, 2013.
- Fertilizer Subsidies and Smallholder Commercial Fertilizer Purchases: Crowding out, Leakage, and Policy Implications for Zambia. Nicole M. Mason and T. S. Jayne. No. 58. December 2012.
- Zambian Smallholder Behavioral Responses To Food Reserve Agency Activities (Revised Version). Nicole M. Mason, T. S. Jayne, and Robert J. Myers. No. 57. November 2012.
- Where Do Urban Households in Zambia Buy their Livestock Products? Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute Policy Brief Number 56. Lusaka, Zambia. July 2012.
- Supply Response of Export Crops in Zambia: The Case of Coffee. Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka and Awudu Abdulai. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute Policy Brief Number 55. Lusaka, Zambia. May 2012.
- Smallholder Commercialization Trends as Affected by Land Constraints in Zambia: What Are the Policy Implications? Munguzwe Hichaambwa and T. S. Jayne. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute Policy Brief Number 54. Lusaka, Zambia. April 2012.
- Assessing the Feasibility of Implementing the Farmer Input Support Programme (FISP) Through an Electronic Voucher System in Zambia. Nicholas J. Sitko, Richard Bwalya, Jolly Kamwanga, and Mukata Wamulume. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute Policy Brief Number 53. Lusaka, Zambia. April 2012.
- Getting More “Bang for the Buck”: Diversifying Subsidies Beyond Fertilizer and Policy Beyond Subsidies. William J. Burke, T. S. Jayne, and J. Roy Black. No. 52. March 2012.
- Can the FISP More Effectively Achieve Food Production and Poverty Reduction Goals? William J. Burke, T.S. Jayne, and Nicholas J. Sitko. No. 51. March 2012.
- The Effects of the Food Reserve Agency on Maize Market Prices in Zambia. Nicole M. Mason and Robert J. Myers. No. 50. December 2011.
- Zambian Smallholder Behavioral Responses To Food Reserve Agency Activities. Nicole M. Mason, T. S. Jayne, and Robert J. Myers. No. 49. December 2011.
- Mountains of Maize, Persistent Poverty. T.S. Jayne, Nicole Mason, William Burke, Arthur Shipekesa, Antony Chapoto, and Chance Kabaghe. No. 48. November 2011.
- Trends in Maize Grain, Roller and Breakfast Meal Prices In Zambia. Auckland N. Kuteya and T.S. Jayne. No. 47. September 2011.
- Contribution of Non-Timber Forest Products to Rural Household Income in Zambia. Brian P. Mulenga, Robert B. Richardson, Lawrence Mapemba, and Gelson Tembo. No. 46, September 2011.
- Why Are Zambian Farmers Not Harvesting All Their Maize? Arthur M. Shipekesa and T.S. Jayne. No. 45, July 2011.
- Revitalizing Zambia’s Agricultural Marketing Information Centre (Amic). Daria Gage. No. 44, July, 2011.
Policy Briefs published under IAPRI’s Predecessor Zambia Food Security Research Project (FSRP)
These briefs can also be downloaded from http://fsg.afre.msu.edu/zambia/index.html
- Productivity Impact of Conservation Farming On Smallholder Cotton Farmers in Zambia. Steven Haggblade, Stephen Kabwe and Christina Plerhoples. No.43, March, 2010.
- Factors Contributing to Zambia’s 2010 Maize Bumper Harvest. William J. Burke, T. S. Jayne and Antony Chapoto. Number 42, September, 2010.
- Why are Fresh Produce Prices So Unstable in Lusaka? Insights for Policy and Investment Priorities. Munguzwe Hichaambwa and David Tschirley. Number 41, June, 2010.
- How are Vegetables Marketed into Lusaka? The Structure of Lusaka’s Fresh Produce Marketing System and Implications for Investment Priorities. Munguzwe Hichaambwa and David Tschirley. Number 40, June, 2010.
- Do Brokers Help or Hinder the Marketing of Fresh Produce in Lusaka? Preliminary Insights from Research. David Tschirley and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Number 39, June, 2010.
- Smallholder Marketing Behavior and Urban Consumption Patterns in Eastern and Southern Africa. GISAMA Policy Synthesis #3. March 2010.
- Opportunities and Challenges for Strengthening Staple Food Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa. GISAMA Policy Synthesis #2. March 2010.
- Spatial and Regional Dimensions of Food Security in Zambia. Steven Haggblade, Steven Longabaugh and David Tschirley. Number 38, February, 2010.
- Natural Resource Management, Food Security And Rural Development In Zambia: Moving From Research Evidence To Action. Proceedings Of The Public Forum. Phyllis Simasiku, Antony Chapoto, Robert Richardson, Mwape Sichilongo, Gelson Tembo, Michael Weber and Alimakio Zulu. Number 37, February, 2010.
- Policies and Public Investments to Promote Smallholder Green Revolutions in Africa: Lessons from Asia. GISAMA Policy Synthesis #1. December 2009
- Staple Food Consumption Patterns in Urban Zambia: Results from the 2007/2008 Urban Consumption Survey. Nicole M. Mason and T. S. Jayne. Number 36, December 2009.
- Impact Of Natural Resource Conservation Policies On Household Consumption Around Zambian National Parks. Gelson Tembo, Sushenjit Bandyopadhyay and Jean-Michel Pavy. Number 35, October 2009.
- Access To Land And Poverty Reduction In Rural Zambia: Connecting The Policy Issues. T. S. Jayne, Ballard Zulu, Gear Kajoba and M. T. Weber. Number 34, Sept 2009.
- The Impacts of Wildlife Conservation Policies on Rural Household Welfare in Zambia. Ana Fernandez, Robert B. Richardson, David Tschirley, and Gelson Tembo. Number 33, September 2009.
- Contract Farming in Sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons from cotton on what works and under what conditions. Tschirley, David L., Minde, Isaac, Boughton, Duncan H. ReSAKSS Issue Briefs http://www.resakss.org/. March 2009.
- Factors Influencing the Profitability of Fertilizer Use on Maize in Zambia. Z. Xu, Z. Guan, T.S. Jayne, and Roy Black. Number 32, February 2009.
- Impact Of HIV/AIDS-Related Adult Mortality On Rural Households’ Welfare In Zambia. Antony Chapoto and T.S Jayne. Number 12. December 2005.
- Zambia’s 2005 Maize Import and Marketing Experiences: Lessons and Implications. Anthony Mwanaumo, T.S Jayne, Ballard Zulu, Julius Shawa, Green Mbozi, Steven Haggblade, and Misheck Nyembe. Number 11. December 2005.
- Community-level Relationships between Prime Age Mortality and Rural Welfare: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. T. S. Jayne, Antony Chapoto, Elizabeth Byron, Mukelabai Ndiyoi, Petan Hamazakaza, Suneetha Kadiyala, and Stuart Gillespie International Food Policy Research Institute policy brief. November 2005.
- Socio-economic Characteristics of Individuals Afflected by AIDS-related Prime-age Mortality in Zambia. Antony Chapoto and T.S. Jayne. Number 10. September 2005.
- Markets Need Predictable Government Actions to Function Effectively: The Case of Importing Maize in Times of Deficit. J.J. Nijhoff, T.S. Jayne, Billy Mwiinga, Jim Shaffer. Number 6. 2002.
- The Role Of Mugaiwa In Promoting Household Food Security: Why It Matters Who Gets Access To Government Maize Imports. Billy Mwiinga, J.J. Nijhoff, T.S. Jayne, Gelson Tembo, Jim Shaffer. Number 5. 2002.
- Framework and Initial Analyses of Fertilizer Profitability in Maize and Cotton in Zambia. C. Donovan, M. Damaseke, J. Govereh, and D. Simumba. Number 4. 2002.
- Developments in Fertilizer Marketing in Zambia: Commercial Trading, Government Programs and the Smallholder Farmer. J. Govereh, T.S. Jayne, J.J. Nijhoff, J.J. Shawa, H. Haantuba, A. Belemu, E. Ngulube, B. Zulu, and A.K. Banda. Number 3. 2002.