- Poverty Methodology. Presented by Goodson Sinyenga to IAPRI researchers at IAPRI Kabulonga office, Lusaka. May 20, 2016.
- What are Agricultural Subsidies Doing for Smallholder Agriculture in Zambia. Presented by Chewe Nkonde on behalf of IAPRI at the Social Protection Seminar organised by Food and Agriculture Organisation in Lusaka, Zambia. May 19, 2016.
- IAPRI Annual General Meeting held at Southern Sun Ridgeway Hotel, Lusaka. May 19, 2016.
- EDEV Partners Implementing Meeting, Lusaka. May 16, 2016.
- Northwestern Provincial Outreach Meeting held at Kansanshi Hotel, Solwezi. May 6, 2016.
- Copperbelt Provincial Outreach Meeting held at Aabiya Lodge, Ndola. May 4, 2016.
- Smallholder Land Tenure and Agricultural Productivity in Zambia. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Address made at the Workshop on Farmers’ Land Management: the Role of the VGGT Organised by the World Farmers’ Organisation at AVANNI Victoria Falls Resort, Livingstone, Zambia. May 4, 2016.
- Dialogue on Economic Diversification in Zambia's Agriculture and Tourism Sectors held at Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. April 28, 2016.
- Charcoal Production and Miombo Woodland Degradation. Presented at the Zambia Customary Land Management Research Symposium, Mulungushi International Conference Center, Lusaka 2016. April 6 - 7, 2016.
- Interchange of Key Agricultural Facts with the Zambian Members of Parliament held at the Media Centre, National Assembly, Lusaka. April 18, 2016.
- Validation Workshop on the Findings of the Assessment of Labour Costs between Conservation and Conventional Farming and the Qualitative Assessment of Barriers to Conservation Agriculture held at Southern Sun Ridgeway Hotel, Lusaka. April 13, 2016.
- The Geography of Zambia's Customary Land: Assessing the Prospects for Smallholder Development. Nicholas J. Sitko, Jordan Chamberlin and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presented at the Customary Land Management Research Symposium in Lusaka, Zambia. April 6 - 7, 2016.
- Land and Agricultural Commercialisation in Africa. Presented at the 2016 World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty, The World Bank, Washington, DC. March 14 - 18, 2016.
- Dialogue on Agricultural Policies with Political Parties held at Lake Safari Lodge, Siavonga on 23rd March, 2016.
- Competition and Barriers to Entry in the Animal Feed to Poultry Value Chain in Zambia. Presented by Paul Chimuka Samboko at the Annual Competition and Economic Regulation Week Conference, Livingstone. March 11, 2016.
- How Agricultural Research can inform Policy and Contribute to Development. Presented by Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka during the International Conference on Research in Development at Mika Convention Centre, Lusaka. March 03, 2016.
- Oxfam Programme Design Workshop at Chaminuka Lodge, Lusaka. March 01, 2016.
- Legume technology and agricultural productivity: Evidence from Zambia. Selected visual presentation by C. Sauer, M. Maredia, and N. Mason at the Pan-African Grain Legume and World Cowpea Conference. AVANI Victoria Falls Resort and Conference Center, Livingstone, Zambia. Feb. 29, 2016.
- The 2015 Rural Agricultural Livelihoods Survey Report. Antony Chapoto. Presented during the Launch of the 2015 Rural Agricultural Livelihoods Survey Report held IAPRI Offices on 26A Middleway Road, Kabulonga, Lusaka. Feburary 26, 2016.
- Descriptive Analysis of Adoption and Dis-adoption of Conservation Agriculture in Zambia. Olipa Zulu-Mbata. Presented at the Validation Workshop on the Findings of the Descriptive Analysis of Adoption and Dis-adoption of Conservation Agriculture in Zambia at Radisson Blu Hotel, Lusaka. February 25, 2016.
- The Zambian Experience. Antony Chapoto. Presented at the Agriculture Policy Support Project Stakeholders Brainstorming Session on the Establishment of a Policy Unit at MoFA held at Coconut Groove Hotel, Accra, Ghana. January 27, 2016.
- One Day Workshop to the Committee on Economic Affairs on the Zambia Parliament on the Importance and Challenges of Using Facts in Shaping Policy held at Chaminuka Lodge, Lusaka. January 26, 2016.
- Need to Know Facts About Staples in Zambia. Presented by Stephen Kabwe, Brian Chisanga, and Chance Kabaghe at the Food Trade Advisory Forum. January 25, 2016.
- Comments on the Auditor General's Report on Sustainable Fisheries. Submitted to the Parliamentary Committee on Agriculture by Mr Ballard A. M. Zulu and Mrs Thelma Namonje-Kapembwa. January 22, 2016.
- Briefing on Zambian Agriculture. Presented by Nicholas Sitko at the World Food Programme Executive Director's Briefing. January 14, 2016.
- Policy Dialogue on Food Security and Nutrition Situation in Zambia held at Government Complex, Lusaka. December 8, 2015.
- Duo Provincial Outreach Meeting [Moving from Potential to Reality: Agricultural Issues, Gaps and Opportunities in Zambia] at David Livingstone Safari Lodge, Livingstone. November 13, 2015.
- Integrated Soil Fertility Management [ISFM]: Are there Gaps in Policy that make Farmers' Failure to take up ISFM? Presented by Stephen Kabwe at the Integrated Soil Fertility Management Forum at Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. October 30, 2015.
- Reassessing the Concept and Measurement of Market Access: Evidence from Zambian Maize Markets. Presented by Antony Chapoto and Thom Jayne at the 2nd International Conference on Global Food Security, Ithaca, NY, USA. October 11-14, 2015.
- Policy and Price Stability: Evidence from Southern and Eastern Africa. Presented at the Bingu International Conference Centre during the Symposium on Making Maize Markets Work For All Malawians, Lilongwe, Lusaka. October 1, 2015.
- Forest Foods for Household Food and Nutrition Security: The Case of the Eastern Province of Zambia. Presented by Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka at the Summer School of International Nutrition: Future Food, Postdam, Germany. October 15, 2015
- What is in the 2016 Budget for the Agricultural Sector? Presented by Auckland Kuteya during the Budget Breakfast Meeting at Taj Pamodzi Hotel. October 23, 2015
- Stakeholders Consultative Meeting. October 2, 2015
- Agricultural Input Support Programs in Africa: An Assessment of Recent Evidence. Presented by T. S. Jayne, Nicole Mason, William J. Burke, and Joshua Ariga at the World Bank Workshop on "Options for Improving Agricultural Public Expenditure in Africa", Washington, DC. September 22 - 23, 2015.
- The African Elite and Land Grabbing in Africa. Presented by Antony Chapoto at the Third Pan-African Round Table Dialogue "Land Policies, Agrarian Conflicts, Agricultural Production, Food Security and Identity Challenges in Postcolonial Africa, Crown Plaza Hotel, Harare, Zimbabwe. August 21 - 23, 2015.
- Managing Trade for Food Security: Experiences from East and Southern Africa. Antony Chapoto. Presentation at the Symposia on Trade and Food Security: Links, processes and prospects during 29th International Conference of Agricultural Economist, Milan, Italy. August 8 - 14, 2015.
- 29th International Conference of Agricultural Economists, Milan, Italy. August 11, 2015
- Does minimum tillage with planting basins or ripping raise maize yields? Meso-panel data evidence from Zambia. Hambulo Ngoma, Nicole M. Mason and Nicholas J. Sitko.
- Do input subsidies reduce poverty among smallholder farm households? Evidence from Zambia. Nicole M. Mason, Solomon T. Tembo.
- Can crop purchase programs reduce poverty and improve welfare in rural communities? Evidence from the Food Reserve Agency in Zambia. Winnie Fung, Saweda Liverpool-Tasie, Nicole M. Mason, Ruth Uwaifo Oyelere.
- Farmland Ownership and Rental Markets in Africa. T.S. Jayne, Jordan Chamberlin, Lulama Traub, Milu Muyanga, Felix Yeboah, Ferdi Meyer, Ward Anseeuw.
- Does Government Operations in Staple Food Markets Reduce or Exacerbate Food Price Volatility? Evidence from East and Southern Africa. A. Chapoto and T. S. Jayne. Symposia on Trade shocks, Price Transmission and poverty linkages in African Countries.
- Symposium on How to Make Zambia the Region's Food Basket through Trade. July 30, 2015
- Do crop income shocks widen disparities in smallholder agricultural investments? Panel survey evidence from Zambia. Yoko Kusunose, Solomon Tembo, Nicole M. Mason, Melinda Smale. Agricultural & Applied Economics Association and Western Agricultural Economics Association Joint Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, July 26-28, 2015.
- Stakeholders Consultative Meeting to Discuss the Crop Marketing Modalities and Diversification Under FISP for the 2015/2016 Season. May 22, 2015.
- The Paradox of Minimal use of Minimum Tillage Despite Positive Yield Benefits in Zambia: Evidence from Distict - Representative Data. Brian P. Mulenga, Hambulo Ngoma, T.S. Jayne, Nicholas Sitko, & Nicole Mason. Beating Famine Conference, Bingu International Conference Center, Lilongwe, Zambia. April 25, 2015.
- Managing Trade for Food Security: Experiences from East and Southern Africa. Antony Chapoto. Informal Consultation to Identify the Key Issues and Results Consultation III: Trade Policy Supportive of Food Security. FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy. April 20 - 21, 2015.
- Improving Agricultural Input and Output Markets in Africa: Evidence and Way Forward. Antony Chapoto. FARMAF Policy Workshop at Cresta Golfview Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia. April 14 - 15, 2015.
- World Bank Land and Poverty Conference. Washington, DC. March 24, 2015.
- 1st Annual Competition and Economic Regulation (ACER) Week. Southern Africa. March 20-21, 2015
- Stakeholders Consultative Meeting. Lusaka, Zambia. March 18, 2015.
- Overview of the Agriculture Sector
- Under appreciated facts in the Zambian Agriculture Sector. Ballard Zulu, IAPRI.
- Overview of the Agricultural Input Sector
- Experiences and lessons with e-voucher implementation
- Current Maize Market Situation
- Grain Market Development
- Agriculture Diversification and Sustainable Agriculture
- Farmer Input Support Programme.
- Grain Marketing.
- Agriculture Diversification
- Political economy dimensions of input subsidy programs: Fertilizer subsidies & election outcomes in Zambia. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & Nicolas van de Walle. IFPRI Headquarters, Washington, DC. 14 January 2015.
- Conservation agriculture in sub-Saharan Africa: Hopes and realities. Hambulo Ngoma, Arild Angelsen, Davison Gumbo & Brian Mulenga. The Global Landscapes Forum 2014: UNFCCC COP20. Session: Will climate smart agriculture help realise REDD+? Lima, Peru. December 7, 2014.
- Provincial Outreach Workshop. Luapula, Zambia. December 5, 2014.
- Reflecting On the Hunger Situation in Zambia. Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. CSO-SUN/PSP Policy Dialogue on Food, Nutrition Security and Social Protection.
- 2015 - Zambia's Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis. Auckland Kuteya and Antony Chapoto. MAL/ACF/IAPRI Breakfast Meeting. Taj Padmodzi Hotel, Lusaka. October 17, 2014
- Bridging the Edible Oil Deficit. Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka, Brian Chisanga and Mary Lubungu. 109 ZNFU National Congress. Mulungushi Conference Center. Lusaka. October 14, 2014.
- Conference on Land Policy in Africa. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. 11-14 November 2014.
- Agricultural Commodity Exchanges and the Development of Grain Markets and Trade in Africa. Nicholas Sitko, T.S. Jayne, Chris Sturgess, Ron Kopicki. 1st Annual Regional Agricultural Outlook Symposium: A 10 Year Outlook. “Anticipating and Responding to the Region’s Policy Challenges in the Decade Ahead”. Lusaka, Zambia. Nov. 5, 2014.
- ECAMA Research Symposium. Lilongwe, Malawi. October 8-10, 2014.
- Presentation: Rural Land Rental Markets in Southern Africa:
trends, participation and impacts on household welfare in Malawi & Zambia. Jordan Chamberlin and Jacob Ricker-Gilbert.
- PEGNet Conference "Employment strategies in the Developing World - How to create sufficient, productive and decent jobs," Lusaka, Zambia, 19th September 2014.
- Partnerships around food and nutrition security information flows in Zambia. Klaus Droppelmann, Chance Kabaghe, Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka and Teunis van Rheenen.
- Does Late Delivery of Subsidized Fertilizer Affect Smallholder Maize Productivity and Production? Thelma S. Namonje.
- Nutritional Effects of Agricultural Diversification and Commercialization on Children in Zambia. Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka & Christian H. Kuhlgatz.
- Farm Structure, Access to Land, and Strategies for Employment Generation in SSA. T. S. Jayne, J. Chamberlin, N. Sitko, M. Hichaambwa, A. Chapoto, M. Muyanga, and C. Nkonde.
- Africa’s Changing Farm Structure and the Employment Challenge. T.S. Jayne, J. Chamberlin, D. Headey, A. Chapoto, M. Muyanga, N. Sitko. IFPRI Headquarters, Washington, DC, September 4, 2014.
- COMESA/ACTESA Parliamentary Policy Seminar: Reviewing the Impacts of Import and Export Bans on Food Security in Eastern and Southern Africa. Lusaka, Zambia. August 11-12, 2014.
- AAEA Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN. July 27th-29th 2014.
- Selected paper presented at the 2014 AAEA Annual Meeting. Minneapolis, MN. July 29, 2014.
- Agriculture Cooperating Partners Meeting on Conservation Agriculture, Embassy of Finland. Lusaka, Zambia. 10 June 2014.
- Transforming Agriculture Towards A Food And Nutrition Secure Zambia. High-level Meeting Policy Forum on “Revitalizing Agriculture in Zambia Towards the 2014 AU Year of Agriculture-Changing the way we Do Agric in Zambia.” Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka, IAPRI. Intercontinental Hotel, Lusaka. June, 2014.
- Zambian Cotton Sector: How Can It Be Sustained Amidst Booms and Slumps? Stephen Kabwe. Cotton Stakeholders’ Meeting. Golden Peacock Hotel, Lusaka. 12 May 2014.
- International Food Policy Research Institute Seminar at FAO Headquarters. Rome, Italy. May 12, 2014.
- Utilization of Animal Draft Power in Zambia: Drivers & Effects on Household Income and Commercialization. Mary Lubungu, Nicole M. Mason, and Rhoda Mukuka-Mofya. GSO Brown Bag Seminar Series. Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics, Michigan State University. 16 April 2014.
- Smallholder Access to Land in Zambia Emerging Research Findings & Implications for Rural Development. M. Hichaambwa, J. Chamberlin & IAPRI team. Presented at the "Policy Forum on Operationalising the Year of Agriculture with Evidence" organized by IAPRI in Lusaka, Zambia. 11 April 2014.
- Conservation Agriculture Adoption by Cotton Farmers in Eastern Zambia. Philip Grabowski, John Kerr, Steve Haggblade and Stephen Kabwe. 1st ACCA Conference. Lusaka, Zambia. March 2014.
- How do fertilizer subsidy programs affect total fertilizer use in sub-Saharan Africa? Crowding out, diversion, & benefit/cost assessments. Nicole M. Mason on behalf of co‐authors T.S. Jayne, David Mather, and Jacob Ricker-Gilbert. Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) conference on Economic Development in Africa. St. Catherine’s College, University of Oxford. Oxford, UK. March 24, 2014.
- High-Level Parliamentarian Event in Siavonga, Zambia. March 7, 2014.
- How Do Land Titles Affect Ag. Productivity in Zambia. Nicholas J Sitko. Agricultural Cooperating Partners Meeting. February 25, 2014.
- Zambia’s Ag Sector: Opportunities and Challenges. Nicholas J Sitko. Breakfast Meeting with SIDA. February 13, 2014.
- Agricultural Policy and Food Prices in Zambia. Nicholas Sitko. Presented at DFID. February 12, 2014.
- Agricultural Data and Policy Implications in Zambia. Nicholas Sitko. Cooperating Partners Group Meeting. January 9th, 2014.
- Enabling Policy Environment as Key to Agricultural Production and Trade. Nicholas Sitko. COMESA/ACTESA Food Industry Breakfast. Dec. 3, 2013.
- Why is Charcoal Consumption High in Urban Zambia? Brian P. Mulenga, Solomon Tembo, & Nicholas Sitko. Brownbag Seminar Series. Department of Agricultural , Food, & Resource Economics. MSU. December 3, 2013.
- 1st IAPRI Provincial Outreach Workshop: Business Opportunities in Oil Seeds and Cotton in Eastern Province. Chipata. November 22, 2013.
- Analysis of the 2014 Zambia’s Agricultural Sector Budget. Auckland Kuteya. ACF/IAPRI Budget Breakfast Meeting. Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. October 31, 2013.
- Agricultural Input Subsidy Programs in Theory and in Practice: The Case of Zambia. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. Eye on Africa Seminar, MSU African Studies Center. 31 October 2013.
- 4th International Conference of the African Association of Agricultural Economists. Hammamet, Tunisia. September 22-25, 2013.
- What are the effects of input subsidy programs on maize prices? Evidence from Malawi and Zambia. Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Nicole M. Mason, Francis A. Darko, and Solomon Tembo.
- What Explains Minimal Usage of Minimum Tillage Practices in Zambia? Evidence from District-Representative Data. Hambulo Ngoma, Brian P. Mulenga & T.S. Jayne.
- Hybrid Maize Adoption and Income Diversification in Zambia: Findings of a Household Survey. Petan Hamazakaza, Melinda Smale, and Helen Kasalu.
- Fertilizer subsidies & voting behavior: Political economy dimensions of input subsidy programs. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & Nicolas van de Walle.
- Potential for Cropland Expansion in Africa: Estimates under Alternative Assumptions. Jordan Chamberlin, T. S. Jayne, Derek Headey.
- Agricultural Transformation in Zambia: Models for Successful Smallholder Commercialization. Antony Chapoto, Steven Haggblade, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Stephen Kabwe, Steven Longabaugh, Nicholas Sitko and David Tschirley.
- Zambia's Maize Market Outlook 2013/14. Lusaka, Zambia. 30 August 2013.
- The Ability of Cotton to Drive Food Crop Intensification in Sub-Saharan Africa. Veronique Theriault & David Tschirley. AAEA Meeting. August 6, 2013.
- Fertilizer Subsidies and Voting Behavior: Political Economy Dimensions of Input Subsidy Programs. Nicole Mason, T.S. Jayne, and Nicolas van de Walle. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) Annual Meetings. Washington, DC. August 4-6, 2013.
- What are the effects of input subsidy programs on maize prices? Evidence from Malawi and Zambia. Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Nicole Mason, T.S. Jayne, Francis Darko, and Solomon Tembo. Selected presentation. Agricultural and Applied Economics Association (AAEA) Annual Meetings. Washington DC. August 4-6, 2013.
- Welfare Effects of Smallholder Farmers’ Participation in Livestock Markets in Zambia. Mary Lubungu. 2013 Joint Annual Meeting of Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. Washington D.C. 4-6 August 2013.
- Gendered relationship in Agriculture: Descriptive data from RALS. Nicholas J. Sitko and Solomon Tembo. June 19, 2013.
- Zambia’s Economic Overview and the Agricultural Sector. Hambulo Ngoma. Agri Benchmark Cash Crop Training Workshop. Bureau for Food and Agricultural Policy (BFAP). Pretoria, South Africa. 14-16 May, 2013.
- Impacts of Seed Subsidies on Poverty and Inequality Among Smallholder Maize Growers In Zambia. Nicole Mason and Melinda Smale. Cornell University Institute for African Development. Spring Symposium on Growth, Poverty, and Inequality: Confronting the Challenges for a Better Life for All in Africa. 20 April 2013.
- Impacts of Seed Subsidies on Poverty and Inequality Among Smallholder Maize Growers In Zambia. Nicole Mason and Melinda Smale. Workshop Input Subsidy Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa: Methods, Findings, and Implications for Policy. IFPRI/MSU. Washington DC. April 17, 2013.
- Zambia’s input subsidy programs. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. IFPRI-MSU workshop on Input Subsidy Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa: Methods, Findings, and Implications for Policy. IFPRI, Washington, DC. April 16, 2013.
- High Level Government Policy Meeting. Chaminuka Lodge. Lusaka. April 13, 2013.
- Fertilizer subsidies & voting behavior: Political economy dimensions of input subsidy programs. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & Nicolas van de Walle. Department of Agricultural, Food, & Resource Economics, MSU. April 11, 2013.
- Emergent Farmer Growth Trajectories in Zambia: Land Accumulation and Its Implications for Poverty Reduction. Nicholas Sitko, T.S. Jayne, and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Annual World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty. Washington, DC. April 8-11, 2013.
- Persistent rural poverty amidst significant agricultural growth: Where are we going wrong? Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka and IAPRI Team. Presentation to Media organizations, IAPRI, Lusaka. April 3, 2013.
- Perceptions of Climate Change and Determinants of Minimum Tillage Use by Smallholder Farmers in Zambia. Brian P. Mulenga, Hambulo Ngoma, and Thomas Jayne. Climate Smart Agriculture: Global Science Conference. University of California, Davis, U.S.A. March 20 -22, 2013.
- IAPRI/FSRP’s Work Related to Climate Change and Climate Smart Agriculture in Zambia. Hambulo Ngoma and Rhoda M. Mukuka. USAID partners meeting held in Chipata. March 19, 2013.
- Medium Scale Farmer Growth Trajectories in Africa: Implications for Broad-Based Growth and Poverty Reduction. Milu Muyanga, Nicholas Sitko, T.S. Jayne, Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Future Agricultures Conference on Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Africa, Roode Vallei Hotel, Pretoria, South Africa, March 18-20, 2013.
- Fertilizer subsidies & voting behavior: Political economy dimensions of input subsidy programs. N. Mason, T.S. Jayne, & N. van de Walle. Presented at the Future Agricultures/Institute for Poverty, Land, & Agrarian Studies International Conference on the Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Africa Roodevallei Hotel, Pretoria, South Africa. March 18, 2013.
- The De-Linking of Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction. T.S. Jayne and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presentation at the International Conference on the Political Economy of Agricultural Policy in Africa, Sponsored by Future Agricultures and PLAAS. March 18, 2013.
- Realities of smallholder land constraints and their impacts on commercialization in Zambia. M. Hichaambwa and T. S. Jayne. Presented to Swedish International Development Agency. Swedish Embassy, Lusaka. February 25, 2013.
- Fundamental Causes of High Mealie Meal Prices Amidst Bumper Harvests. Auckland N. Kuteya, T.S. Jayne and Nicholas Sitko. Presentation at the Economic Association of Zambia Meeting, Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka February 28, 2013.
- Fundamental Causes of High Mealie Meal Prices Amidst Bumper Harvests. Auckland N. Kuteya, T.S. Jayne and Nicholas Sitko. Presentation at the SIDA/FINNIDA Meeting. SIDA Conference Room, Lusaka. February 25, 2013.
- High Mealie-Meal Prices Amidst Bumper Harvests in Zambia. Auckland Kuteya and T.S. Jayne. Presentation at the Sida Meeting, IAPRI, Lusaka January 23rd, 2013.
- FtF Population-based survey indicators. Nicholas Sitko, Arthur Shipekesa, Solomon Tembo, and Rhoda Mofya-Mukuka. USAID Partners’ Meeting. IAPRI. December 18th, 2012.
- Stakeholders’ Meeting on Evidence-Based Agricultural Policy Decisions to Shape Agricultural Development for Poverty Reduction. Lusaka, Zambia. 5 December 2012.
- Analyzing Zambia’s Agricultural Sector Budget 2013. Auckland Kuteya. Presentation at the ACF/IAPRI Budget Meeting. Lusaka. 1st November, 2012.
- Fertilizer Policy in Zambia: Implications and Alternatives. Nicholas J. Sitko. Presented at the Southern Africa Feed the Future Regional Workshop. Held in Maputo, Mozambique. October 26th, 2012.
- Investments Priorities for Improving Food Security in Africa. Rhoda Mofya Mukuka and Thom Jayne. Presentation at a consultative workshop on Strategies to inform investments for food security in Sub-Saharan Africa. Pretoria, 24-25th October, 2012.
- Wheat consumption in sub-Saharan Africa: Trends, drivers, and implications for food security and policy. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, and Bekele Shiferaw. Keynote presentation at the Wheat for Food Security in Africa conference. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, October 8, 2012.
- Current Food Security Priority Issues. T.S. Jayne and Chance Kabaghe Presentation at IAPRI to USAID, Lusaka, Zambia, September 18, 2012.
- Improving the Performance of Agriculture in Zambia through Well-Targeted Investments. Nicholas J. Sitko, T.S. Jayne, and Nicole M. Mason. Presentation for the USAID/Southern Africa Director and USAID/Zambia Desk Officer. IAPRI Conference Room, Lusaka, Zambia, September 18, 2012.
- Land Access & Impacts on Public Spending on Agriculture in Zambia. Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Nicole M. Mason, & Nicholas J. Sitko. Presentation to the World Bank. IAPRI Conference Room, Lusaka, Zambia, 17 September 2012.
- Current Food Security Priority Issues. T.S. Jayne and Chance Kabaghe. Presentation at IAPRI to USAID and US Embassy staff. Lusaka, Zambia, September 4, 2012.
- Land Access & Impacts on Public Spending on Agriculture in Zambia. Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Nicole M. Mason, & Nicholas J. Sitko. Presentation to the USAID Economic Growth Team, IAPRI Conference Room. 4 September 2012.
- Integrating Land, Forest, and Energy Policy Issues in Zambia. Brian P. Mulenga. Co-author: Robert Richardson. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute. September 4th, 2012.
- Cross-Country Impacts of Inputs Subsidies: Insights on Targeting, Crowding-out & Production from Kenya, Malawi and Zambia. J. Ricker-Gilbert, N.M. Mason, D. Mather, T.S. Jayne. Presentation made by Ricker-Gilbert during a mini-symposium entitled "Input Promotion Programs in Africa: What Works, What Doesn’t, and Why?", International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. 20 August 2012.
- Smallholder Behavioral Responses to Marketing Board Activities in a Dual Channel Marketing System: The Case of Maize in Zambia. Nicole M. Mason, T.S. Jayne, and Robert J. Myers. Selected paper presented at the International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. 19 August 2012.
- Smallholder Behavioral Responses to Grain Marketing Board Activities in Dual Channel Marketing Systems: Overcoming Modeling Challenges & Evidence from Zambia & Kenya. Nicole M. Mason, David Mather, and T.S. Jayne. Presentation at the mini-symposium on "The Microeconomic Effects of Grain Marketing Boards on Farm Households in sub-Saharan Africa: Modeling Challenges, Empirical Evidence, and Implications for Research & Policy", International Association of Agricultural Economists Triennial Conference. Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. 22 August 2012.
- Addressing the “Wicked Problem” of Input Subsidy Programs in Africa: A Review. Jacob Ricker-Gilbert, Thomas Jayne, and Gerald Shively. AAEA – Seattle, August 14, 2012.
- Factors Influencing Livestock Marketing Dynamics in Zambia. Mary Lubungu. 2012 Joint Annual Meeting of Agricultural and Applied Economics Association. Washington State Convention Center. Seattle. 12-14 August 2012.
- Emerging Land Issues in African Agriculture: Toward the Identification of Appropriate Rural Development Strategies. T.S. Jayne, Milu Muyanga, Jordan Chamberlin. Seminar at the Indaba Institute, Lusaka, Zambia. July 25, 2012.
- Grain marketing issues affecting post-harvest storage. T.S. Jayne. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute, Lusaka. Presentation at CIMMYT Launch and Workshop on “Effective Grain Storage for Sustainable Livelihoods of African Farmers.” Lusaka. 28-29 June 2012.
- Emerging Land Issues In African Agriculture: Implications for Food Security and Poverty Reduction Strategies. T.S. Jayne, J. Chamberlin, M. Muyanga. USAID Bureau for Food Security. Washington, D.C. May 31, 2012.
- Positioning the Cotton Sector As Zambia Develops the CAADP Investment Plan. Stephen Kabwe. Presentation at the Zambia Cotton Sector Exchange – Promotion of Cotton in Zambia, Cresta Golf View Hotel, Lusaka. 4 May 2012.
- Agricultural Policies and Food Security Challenges in Zambia. Auckland Kuteya. Presentation at the Africa Lead Champions for Change Leadership Training. Protea Hotel, Chisamba, Zambia. 16-20th April, 2012.
- Seeing the forest for the fuel and food: Non-timber forest products and rural development in Zambia. Robert B. Richardson. GSO Brown Bag Seminar Series, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics Michigan State. 10 April 2012. Watch presentation.
- Food Production & Security Difficulties Facing Zambia. A. Kuteya and T.S. Jayne. Presentation at the conference “Zambia 2012 - Shaping our Future,” Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, 29-30 March, 2012.
- The Revisions to the Cotton Act, 2005. Stephen Kabwe. Presented at the Zambia Cotton Ginners Association Meeting, Cargill Board Room, Chipata. 23 March 2012.
- Input Subsidies, Poverty and Production: How policy could do more. W.J. Burke, T.S. Jayne, J.R. Black and N.J. Sitko. Presentation to Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Directors, Mulungushi House, Lusaka, Zambia, March 15th, 2012.
- Seeing the forest for the fuel and food: Rural poverty and forest sustainability in Zambia. Robert B. Richardson. International Resources Industries and Sustainability Centre (IRIS) Seminar. University of Calgary. 29 February 2012.
- Constraints on FISP as a Poverty Reduction Strategy. W.J. Burke, T.S. Jayne, J.R. Black and N.J. Sitko. Presentation for the Agricultural Cooperating Partners Meeting. Lusaka, Zambia. February 21, 2012.
- Zambian Agricultural Commodity Exchange: Institutional Changes and Persistent Challenges. Nicholas Sitko and T.S. Jayne. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute (IAPRI). Presented at the Agricultural Cooperating Partners Meeting. Lusaka, December 13th, 2011.
- Characterisation of Fresh Produce City Supply: The Case of Lusaka in Zambia. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute (IAPRI), Formerly Food Security Research Project (FSRP). Presented at the Workshop on Methodology for Fruit and Vegetable City Supply in East and Southern Africa. Nairobi, Kenya. 5-6 December 2011.
- Integrating the Goals of Productive Land Use and Equitable Rural Development. T.S. Jayne and Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Indaba Agricultural Policy Research Institute. Seminar organized by the Indaba Institute, Lusaka, Zambia, December 2, 2011.
- Overview of the FTF Agricultural Baseline Survey. Nicole M. Mason. FTF Zambia Agricultural Research & Development Program Biannual Program Meeting, Lusaka, Zambia. November 30, 2011.
- 2012 Zambian Agriculture Sector Budget Analysis. Auckland Kuteya and Christopher Kambole. ACF/IAPRI Budget Breakfast Meeting. Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. November 30, 2011
- Agricultural Policy Reforms in Zambia. Antony Chapoto. Africa Lead CAADP Leadership Course. Champions for Change. Chisamba, Zambia. November 21-25, 2011.
- Unpacking the meaning of “market access”: evidence from Kenya & Zambia. Jordan Chamberlin, Thom Jayne, Antony Chapoto. Increasing Agricultural Productivity & Enhancing Food Security in Africa, UNECA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. November 1-3, 2011.
- Agricultural Policy Reforms in Zambia. Antony Chapoto. Southern Africa Regional FTF Meeting. Pretoria, South Africa. October 17-19, 2011.
- Zambia’s Maize Policy Challenges: Issues and Options for CAADP. T.S. Jayne, William Burke, Arthur Shipekesa, Antony Chapoto, Nicole Mason. Meeting of Agricultural Cooperating Partners in Zambia FAO/Lusaka, 23 August 2011.
- Zambia's Maize Policy Challenges: Issues and Options for CAADP. T.S. Jayne, William Burke, Arthur Shipekesa, Antony Chapoto, Nicole Mason. Presentation at the ACF-FSRP-MACO Conference on Managing Maize Bumper Harvests and Food Policy Challenges, Sandy's Creation Lodge, Lusaka, 16 August 2011.
- Stakeholders’ Consultative Meeting on the Agricultural Credit Act. ACF/FSRP and MACO. Lake Safari, Siavonga. 7-8 July, 2011
- Leveraging Improvements in African Cereal Markets. Nicholas J. Sitko. Presented to the Agro-Enterprise Learning Alliance, 2 June 2011. Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Managing Food Price Volatility: Discussant Remarks on Peter Timmer Presentation. T.S. Jayne. Presentation at Stanford University, Center for Food Security and the Environment. May 26, 2011.
- Regulatory Framework, Organization and Performance of Cotton Sub-Sector for Zambia. Stephen Kabwe. Presented at COMESA/COMPACI Regional Cotton Sector Policy Seminar on Regulatory Frameworks: Leveling the Playing Field, 4-5 May 2011, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Overview of Regulatory Challenges in Cotton Sectors of East and Southern Africa. David Tschirley. Drawing on work with Colin Poulton, Christina Plerhoples, and Stephen Kabwe.Presented at COMESA/COMPACI Regional Cotton Sector Policy Seminar on Regulatory Frameworks: Leveling the Playing Field, 4-5 May 2011, Lusaka, Zambia.
- Options for Addressing Zambia's 2011 Maize Marketing Challenges, T.S. Jayne and colleagues, Presentation to FRA management, FRA Head Office, Lusaka, March 29, 2011
- Categorization of Rural Cropping Households in Zambia. A. Kuteya, M. Weber, S. Kabwe, M. Beaver, A. Chapoto, B. Burke, and N. Mason. A presentation made at Catholic Relief Services, "Agriculture and Nutrition Growth Strategy" workshop, Intercontinental Hotel Lusaka, Zambia. 17 March 2011.
- Categorization of Rural Cropping Households in Zambia. A. Kuteya, M. Weber, S. Kabwe, M. Beaver, A. Chapoto, B. Burke, and N. Mason. A presentation made at Agricultural Consultative Forum to Stakeholders. 16 March 2011.
- Lessons from Zambia's 2010 Maize Marketing Experience. C. Nkonde, N. Mason, N. Sitko, B. Burke, D. Banda, and T.S. Jayne. Invited presentation by T. Jayne at the Economics Association of Zambia meeting, Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, 4 March 2011.
- Widows’ land security in the era of HIV/AIDS: Panel survey evidence from Zambia. Antony Chapoto, T. S. Jayne, & Nicole M. Mason.African Livelihoods Conference, Department of Anthropology, University of Rochester. 25 February 2011.
- Options for Investments in Fresh Produce Wholesale Markets. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presented at the Dialogue Process around Agricultural Water Management solutions National Level Stakeholders Consultation Meeting. Zambezi Source Lodge, Kabwe. 17 -18 February 2011.
- Fresh Produce Wholesale Markets and Options for Investments. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presented at the Dialogue Process around Agricultural Water Management solutions National Level Stakeholders Consultation Meeting. Agricultural Consultative Forum, Lusaka. 15 -16 February 2011.
- Rural Zambian Smallholders’ Cost of Maize Production. FSRP/ACF and MACO/Policy and Planning Dept. Invited presentation to the Ministry of Finance and National Planning. 17 February, 2011
- Lessons from Zambia's 2010 Maize Marketing Experience. C. Nkonde, N. Mason, N. Sitko, B. Burke, M. Hiichambwa, and T.S. Jayne. Presentation at Cooperating Partners Meeting, Lusaka. 9 February 2011.
- The Cost of Producing Maize for Smallholders in Rural Zambia. FSRP/ACF and MACO/Policy and Planning Dept. Presentation at Belvedere Lodge, Lusaka 2 February, 2011.
- Key Findings of Zambia AgCLIR Study. Nicholas Sitko. Presented to the USAID Mission, Zambia. January 20, 2011.
- Status of Lusaka Fresh Produce Wholesale Markets and Options for Investments. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presented at the meeting of the AfDB Co-financing of SAPP for Urban Agricultural Wholesale Markets. Lusaka. 7 January 2011.
PRESENTATIONS DONE UNDER IAPRI'S PREDECESSOR, ZAMBIA FOOD SECURITY RESEARCH PROJECT (FSRP)
These presentations can also be downloaded from http://fsg.afre.msu.edu/zambia/index.htm
- Smallholder Involvement in Horticulture. Video Conference. 2nd November 2010. World Bank Offices. Lusaka, Zambia.
- High Value Agriculture in Eastern and Southern Africa. Video Conference. 13th October 2010. World Bank Offices. Lusaka, Zambia.
- Productivity Impact of Conservation Farming on Asset Poor Households. Steven Haggblade and Stephen Kabwe. Competitive Africa Cotton Initiative Workshop, Lusaka October 18-20, 2010
- What is in the 2011 National Budget for Zambian Agriculture? Antony Chapoto. ACF/FSRP Budget Breakfast Meeting. Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka October 19, 2010.
- Briefing to USAID/Zambia mission on criteria for initial selection of agricultural value chains for its Feed the Future initiative. Nicholas Sitko, FSRP/Zambia. October 13, 2010, USAID/Zambia, Lusaka.
- Agricultural Productivity in Zambia: Has there been any Progress? Antony Chapoto. Presented to the Zambia National Farmers Union Congress. Mulungushi Conference Centre, Lusaka. 6 October, 2010
- Increased Regional Trade: Opportunities & Issues in East and Southern Africa. Video Conference. Held at the World Bank Zambia Offices, Lusaka. Thursday, 23rd September 2010.
- Factors Contributing to Zambia’s 2010 Maize Bumper Harvest. William J. Burke, T. S. Jayne and Antony Chapoto. ACF/FSRP Research presented to the Economics Association of Zambia. Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. 23 September 2010.
- Modernizing Africa’s Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover. Towards a definition of Research and Investment Priorities. David Tschirley. Presented at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Seattle. August 11, 2010.
- Options for Investments in Fresh Produce Markets. Munguzwe Hichaambwa. Presented to the African Development Bank, Zambia Country Strategy (2011-2014) Development Mission, Lusaka. 10 August 2010.
- Zambia Guidebook to Location of Expected Smallholder Maize Sales for the 2010-2011 Marketing Season: Expected Sales Volume and Number of Smallholders Selling by Province, District and Type of Small/Medium Households. Presentation distributed at the Lusaka Agriculture and Commercial Show, Lusaka. July 29-31, 2010. By MACO/CSO and ACF/FSRP.
- High Value Agriculture in Eastern and Southern Africa: Standards and Market Preferences: Opportunities and Constraints. Video Conference. World Bank offices. 27 July 2010.
- Workshop on Impacts of and Innovations for Conservation Farming. ACF/FSRP and CFU. ACF Conference Room, 2 July 2010. Lusaka
- ACF/FSRP Horticultural Markets Development Workshop. Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia. 2 July 2010.
- Analysis of the 2009/10 Maize Production Estimate from the Crop Forecast Survey. FSRP/ACF and MACO/Policy and Planning Department. Presentation to Cooperating Partners at ACF Conference Hall, Lusaka. 1 July 2010.
- Analysis of the 2009/10 Maize Production Estimate from the Crop Forecast Survey. FSRP/ACF and MACO/Policy and Planning Department. Presentation at Mulungushi, House, Lusaka. 28 June 2010.
- Food Security by The Numbers. Observations from the USAID-MSU Food Security Cooperative Agreement FS III. Challenges in Collecting and Using Information To Inform Goals of Poverty Reduction, Food Security, Enhanced Productivity and Income Growth for Small-Scale Farmers. Michael T. Weber. Presented at 2010 USAID Economic Growth Officer’s Conference. Washington DC. June 21-25, 2010.
- Post Harvest and Transport Issues in East and Southern Africa. Video Conference Organized by the Global Horticulture Initiative. June 22, 2010.
- Awakening the Sleeping Giant: Making Grain Markets Work for Smallholder Farmers and Consumers in Eastern and Southern Africa.Conference sponsored by the CAADP Programme, Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA); and by the Alliance for Commodity Trade in Eastern and Southern Africa (ACTESA). Financial support for this conference is provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation through the Guiding Investments in Sustainable Markets in Africa program (GISAMA), jointly implemented by COMESA and Michigan State University. Lusaka Zambia. May 10, 2010.
- Information to Inform Goals of Poverty Reduction, Food Security, Enhanced Productivity and Income Growth for Small-scale Farmers in Zambia. ACF/FSRP Presentation. Work by A. Kuteya, S. Kabwe, M. Beaver, A. Chapoto, B. Burke , N. Mason and M. Weber. With prior contributions from T. Lungu and many others in MACO, CSO and FSRP. ACF Categorisation Workshop, Serenity Lodge, Lusaka. May 5, 2010.
- Categorisation/Economic Stratification of Rural Cropping Households in Zambia By ACF/FSRP. A. Kuteya, S. Kabwe, M. Beaver, A. Chapoto, B. Burke, N. Mason and M. Weber.(With prior contributions by T. Lungu, now at MoFNP and many other CSO, MACO, and FSRP Staff) Forthcoming.
- Talking Points: Supply, Demand, Prices and Marketing for the 2010/2011 Zambian Maize Marketing Season. ACF/FSRP contribution to FRA organized discussion of factors to consider for the Zambian 2010/2011 maize marketing season. April 23, 2010
- Is Credit and Input Distribution the Answer to Increased Crop Production and Incomes in Zambia? Chance Kabaghe. Economics Association of Zambia Public Discussion Forum, Pamodzi Hotel, 08 April, 2010.
- Cotton Sector Regulation and Facilitation Process in Zambia. A Case Study. Stephen Kabwe and David Tschirley. Presented at Southern and Eastern Africa Cotton Forum (SEACF), 10th Plenary Meeting. Lusaka. 8–11 March 2010.
- Private Public Partnership in Grain Marketing in Zambia, Protea, Chisamba , Lusaka, Zambia, 6 March 2010.
- HIV/AIDS and Development in Zambia. Taking Stock and Rethinking Policies. February 2010, Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka
- Zambia Agricultural Surveys: A Voice for Smallholders? Antony Chapoto. Norwegian Embassy/Zambia. February 11, 2010
- The Impact of Trade Barriers and Market Interventions on Maize Price Unpredictability: Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa. A. Chapoto and T. S. Jayne. Third AAMP Regional Workshop and Seminar on: “Food Prices Variability: Causes, Consequences, and Policy Options.” Maputo, Mozambique. January 25-30, 2010.
- The Status of Customary Land and How it Affects the Rights of Indigenous Local Communities. Submission by FSRP to the Parliamentary Committee on Agriculture and Lands Study, January 2010.
- Maize Price Volatility in Zambia. Jan Nijhoff and Antony Chapoto. Presented at a meeting on Zambia's Agricultural Finance Market, organized by the Zambia National Farmers Union and the PROFIT Program, held in Lusaka, 9 December, 2009.
- Insights on Natural Resource Management and Rural Development in Zambia: Moving From Research Evidence to Action. Collaborating Partner Public Forum. Pamodzi Hotel, 03 December, 2009.
- Forum Final Programme
- Opening Comments - Honorable Minister of Minister of Tourism, Environment and Natural Resources
- Forum Summary Document and Suggestions for Action for SNDP and Beyond
- Recommendations for Policy Leaders in MTENR, MACO, Livestock and LANDS
- Proceedings Document
- Panel Presentations on Community-Based Natural Resource Management.
- The impact of wildlife management policies on communities and conservation in Game Management Areas in Zambia. Alimakio Zulu(NRCF)and Mwape Sichilongo (CBNRMF)
- Household Consumption and Natural Resource Management around National Parks in Zambia. Dr. Gelson Tembo, (UNZA).
- The Impacts of Wildlife Conservation Policies on Rural Welfare in Zambia. Dr. Robert Richardson, (FSRP/MSU)
- Panel Presentations on Land Use and Intensification of agriculture/livestock production and potential for productivity enhancements
- The Challenge of Integrating the Goals of Productive Land Use and Broad-Based Agricultural Development In Zambia. Dr. Antony Chapoto (FSRP)
- Conservation Farming and Related Natural Resource Policies for Sustainable Agricultural Intensification-Two Key Issues. Peter Aagaard
- Improving the lives of poor farmers, rewarding farming practices that protect nature: COMACO. Dr. Dale Lewis, Wildlife Conservation Society
- The Impact of Wildlife Conservation on Rural Development in Zambia. Robert B. Richardson, Ana Fernandez and David Tschirley. Presented at Regional Science Association International (RSAI). San Francisco, CA. November 19, 2009.
- Food Security Research Project. Briefing on FSRP Regional Trade Activities. Jan Nijhoff. USAID Mission. Lusaka. Monday, November 9th, 2009.
- Integrating the Goals of Productive Land Use and Broad-Based Agricultural Development. T.S. Jayne. FSRP. Presentation at USAID/Zambia. November 9, 2009.
- Measuring the Effects of Natural Resource Conservation Policies on Household Welfare. Robert B. Richardson and David Tschirley. Brown Bag Seminar Series Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics. November 10, 2009.
- Reporting from Agricultural Surveys: A Voice for Smallholders. Munguzwe Hichaambwa and Chance Kabaghe, at the Annual Small Scale Farmers' Forum, 05 Nov 2009, Barn Hotel, Lusaka.
- Food Price Spikes and Strategic Interactions between the Public and Private Sectors: Market Failures or Policy Failures? T.S. Jayne and David Tschirley. Presented at the expert meeting on “Institutions and Policies to Manage Global Market Risks and Price Spikes in Basic Food Commodities,” FAO Headquarters, Rome, Italy. October 27-28, 2009.
- Planning Meeting for Outreach Activities: Research and Outreach Towards Game Park and Natural Resource Management to Improve Rural Household Welfare in Zambia. NRCF (Natural Resources Consultative Forum), CBNRMF (Community-Based Natural Resource Management Forum), UNZA (University of Zambia), ACF (Agricultural Consultative Forum)/FSRP (Food Security Research Project) ACF Conference Meeting Room, lot 30 G, Sable Road, Kabulonga. 27 October, 2009 at 09:30 -11:30 hrs
- Programme of Presentation and Discussion.
- Alimakio Zulu and Mwape Sichilong. NRCF and CBNRMF. What was learned and possible ways forward from the June 2008 workshop: "The Impact Of Wildlife Management Policies On Communities And Conservation In Game Management Areas In Zambia".
- Dr. Gelson Tembo, UNZA "Household Consumption and Natural Resource Management around National Parks in Zambia".
- Dr. Robert Richardson, FSRP/MSU. "The Impact of Wildlife Conservation Policies on Rural Welfare in Zambia."
- Dr. Michael Weber, FSRP/MSU. "Smallholder Land Access Research - Possible Interactions with Natural Resource & GMA Issues." See also Table 1 and 2 handouts.
- What is in the 2010 National Budget for Zambian Agriculture? ACF/FSRP in Collaboration with MACO/CSO. Breakfast Budget Review Meeting: Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka -20 Oct, 2009.
- Fruit and Vegetable Production, Marketing and Consumption in Zambia: Overview of Empirical Analysis by FSRP. Chance Kabaghe, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, and David Tschirley. Presented at the ZNFU Fruits and Vegetables Annual General Meeting, Mulungushi International Conference Centre, Lusaka. 13 October 2009
- Creation of a Public/ Private Partnership Marketing Institution. Chance Kabaghe. Presented at the 5th Annual General Meeting of the ACF. Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. 24 September 2009
- The Impact Of Wildlife Conservation On Rural Welfare In Zambia. Robert B. Richardson, Ana Fernandez, and David Tschirley. Presented at the U.S. Society for Ecological Economics. June 1, 2009.
- Agricultural Trade Flows in Southern Africa: Do Regional Preferential Trade Agreements make a Difference? G. Tembo and T. S. Jayne. Presented at the XXVII International Conference of Agricultural Economists, Beijing Conference Center, China, 20 August 2009.
- A Test of the New Variant Famine Hypothesis: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. N. Mason, T. S. Jayne, A. Chapoto, & R. Myers Presented at the XXVII International Conference of Agricultural Economists, Beijing Conference Center, China, 21 August 2009.
- ACF/FSRP Agriculture Policy Dialogue with High Level Government Officials. Protea Lodge, Chisamba, Lusaka, Zambia 14-15 August 2009.
- Proposed Reforms of the Fertiliser Support Programme. Hyde Hantuba.
- CAADP Zambia – So Near and Yet So Far. Jan Nijhoff.
- Public Agriculture Expenditure. Jones Govereh.
- Marketing and Trade in Food Staples. Chance Kabhage.
- Discussing the 2009 National Budget for Zambian Agriculture. Antony Chapoto. Stakeholder meeting on the Tax and Non-Tax Policy Proposals for the 2010 National Budget. 23 July 2009.
- Cotton Sector Regulation in Zambia. A Preliminary Case Study. David Tschirley, Stephen Kabwe. Presented at "Virtual Workshop on Cotton Sector Regulation in Africa" sponsored by the World Bank. 29 June 2009.
- Agricultural Consultative Forum (ACF) & Food Security Research Project (FSRP) News: Information on the Fertilizer Support Programme (FSP) Review 2009. ACF and FSRP. June 2009
- Measuring the impacts of trade barriers and market interventions on maize price instability: Evidence from Eastern and Southern Africa. A. Chapoto and T. S. Jayne. Presentation at the Regional Consultation Workshop on: “ The Use and Impact of Trade and Domestic Policy Interventions on Cereal Value Chain Stakeholders in Eastern and Southern Africa”. Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, June 3-4, 2009.
- Coming Policy Attractions – An Overview of On-Going Research & Potential Outreach. Presentation for Discussion at a Meeting of Donor Cooperating Partners and The ACF/ FSRP Research/Outreach Team. By the ACF/FSRP Team. ACF Offices, June 2, 2009.
- Presentation on how to prepare cassava cheese bread. M.T. Weber. May 23, 2009.
- Modernizing Africa’s Fresh Produce Supply Chains without Rapid Supermarket Takeover Towards a Definition of Research and Investment Priorities. David Tschirley, Miltone Ayieko, Munguzwe Hichaambwa, Joey Goeb. Wayne Loescher. Presented at the Conference on Agricultural Markets, organized by the CGIAR system and Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), May 13-15,2009. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Comments and Handouts to Inform Discussion of Rural and Urban Food Security Issues in Zambia. By The ACF/ FSRP Research/Outreach Team, Presented by Michael Weber & Hyde Haantuba. Presentation at a Meeting To Introduce the EU Food Facility For Rapid Response the Soaring Food Crisis- Chrismar Hotel, 6 May, 2009.
- Comments to Inform Discussion of Rural and Urban Food Security Issues. Powerpoint presentation.
- o Characteristics of Small and Medium-Scale Crop-Growing Households in Zambia: Preliminary Comparison of Results from CSO/MACO/FSRP National-Level Supplemental Surveys in 2003/04 and 2007/08 Crop Marketing Seasons. Tadeyo Lungu, Antony Chapoto, Margaret Beaver and Michael Weber. (Draft for Review, 4 May, 2009). Handout 1.
- o Are Staple Foods Becoming More Expensive for Urban Consumers in Eastern and Southern Africa? Trends in Food Prices, Marketing Margins, and Wage Rates in Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia. N. Mason, T. Jayne, C. Donovan and A. Chapoto. (Draft for Review, 24 April, 2009) Handout 2.
- Are staple foods becoming more expensive for urban consumers in eastern and southern Africa? N. Mason, T. Jayne, C. Donovan and A. Chapoto. Presentation at the Symposium on Food and Financial Crises and Their Impacts on the MDGs in Africa. Institute for African Development. Cornell University May 2, 2009
Exploring the Logic Behind Southern Africa’s Food Crises. T.S. Jayne and David Tschirley. Presented at the Symposium on The Food and Financial Crisis and their Impacts on Achievement of the Millennium Development Goads in Africa. Institute for African Development. Cornell University. 2 May 2009
Testimony to the Parliamentary Committees on Agriculture and Lands on Performance of the Fertiliser Support Programme in Zambia. Hyde Haantuba and Nawiko Masiye, Agricultural Consultative Forum, and Antony Chapto and Michael Weber, Food Security Research Project. National Assembly, Parliament Building, Lusaka. 22 April 2009
o Written Submission - 1) On Fisheries; and 2) On Performance of the Fertiliser Support Programme
o Oral Presentation - On Performance of the Zambian Fertiliser Support Programme
The Evolution of the Cotton and Textile Industry in Zambia. Stephen Kabwe. A presentation at ICAC Research Associate Program, Washington DC, 10 April, 2009
Fostering Agricultural Market Development in Zambia. Gelson Tembo, Antony Chapoto, T.S. Jayne and Michael Weber. Presented at the Zambia National Symposium, "Harnessing the Potential of Agriculture to Meet the Increasing Demands from a Growing Population". Held at the University of Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia. April 7-8, 2009
Beyond Fire Fighting To Using Information for Strategic Planning and Decision Making: Opportunities & Challenges in MACO to Use Information for Longer-Term Policy and Programme Formulation & Impact Improvement. Tadeyo Lungu & Michael Weber. Agricultural Consultative Forum/Food Security Research Project. MACO Participatory Self Assessment Workshop, Ibis Garden. 18/19 March, 2009.
Comparative Analysis of Price Behavior in Fresh Tomato Markets With Special Reference to Zambia. Mukwiti Mwiinga, David Tschirley. Prepared for conference on “Socio-Economic research in vegetable production and marketing in Africa." Nairobi, Kenya 5-6 March, 2009.
ACF/FSRP Sharing Evidence-Based Research Results with the Parliamentary Committee on Agriculture and Lands: Selected Policy Background Information Towards More Effective GRZ and Private Sector Investment to Reduce Rural Poverty and Improve Food Security. Ibis Garden, Chisamba Area, 20/21 Feburary, 2009.
o Radio News Summary on Proposed Fertilizer Reforms: Sunday, 22 Feb, 2009 (ZNBC Radio 4 - ZNBC Four) . To listen: Download MP3 file(2MB)
o Background Information on the Rural Smallholder Farm Sector: What Does Empirical Information Tell Us About Maize Sector Productivity and Related Agricultural Input Use. Antony Chapoto and Michael Weber.
o Categorisation Tables: Small and Medium-Scale Household Income and Other Characteristics By Quintile of Household Per-Capita Land Use - 2004
o Effective Public-Private Coordination in Zambia’s Cotton Sector: Deliberation on the Revised Cotton Act. Stephen Kabwe, FSRP.
o Strengthening the Cotton Act of 2005. The Cotton Working Group
o Study Team Report on Proposed Reforms of the Zambian Fertiliser Support Programme (FSP). Coillard Hamasimbi, ZNFA
o Voucher Programme Presentation. Mark Woods, Rob Munro, Brett and Brent Magrath.
o Draft Report on Proposed Reforms for the Zambian Fertilizer Support Programme. The Fertiliser Review Team
o Public Agriculture Spending: Trends & Key Trade-offs. Jones Govereh
o Trends and Spatial Distribution of Public Agricultural Spending in Zambia: Implication for Agricultural Productivity Growth-Draft for Review. Jones Govereh, Emma Malawo, Tadeyo Lungu, Thom Jayne, Kasweka Chinyama and Pius Chilonda. Draft for Review. 2009
Discussing the 2009 National Budget for Zambian Agriculture. ACF/FSRP Research Staff. Presentation by Antony Chapoto and Michael Weber at the Agricultural Consultative Forum Annual Stakeholders Breakfast Budget Workshop, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka,Zambia. 04 Feb. 2009
Background Materials to Support the Feb 4, 2009 Budget Analysis Presentation: Small and Medium-Scale Household Income and Other Characteristics by Quintile of Household Per-Capita Land Use - 2004. Tadeyo Lungu, Augustine Mutelekesha, Antony Chapoto, Margaret Beaver and Michael Weber.
Resource Materials - Zambia Agricultural Fertilizer Programme Study Tour: Gaining Insights From On-Going Reforms in Malawi, Kenya and Tanzania. By ACF/FSRP
Potential for Intra-Regional Maize Trade in Southern Africa: An Analysis For Zambia at the Sub-National Level. Steven Haggblade, Thomas Jayne, David Tschirley and Steve Longabaugh. Presented by M.T. Weber. Michigan State University – Food Security Group. Presentation at the SADC Southern Africa Regional Conference on Agriculture. Grand Palm Hotel, Gaborone, Botswana, December 8-9, 2008.
Promoting Fertilizer Use in Africa: Current Issues and Empirical Evidence from Malawi, Zambia, and Kenya. Isaac Minde, T.S. Jayne, Joshua Ariga, Jones Govereh, and Eric Crawford. Presentation at the Southern Africa Regional Conference on Agriculture “Theme: Agriculture-led Development for Southern Africa: Strategic Investment Priorities for Halving Hunger and Poverty by 2015”. Grand Palm Hotel, Gaborone, 8-9 December, 2008.
Information Toward Goals of Poverty Reduction, Food Security, Enhanced Productivity and Income Growth for Small-scale Farmers in Zambia – Opportunities and Challenges. ACF/FSRP Presentation By Tadeyo Lungu, Augustine Mutelekesha, Antony Chapoto, Margaret Beaver and Michael Weber. MACO/SIDA ASP Old and New Workshop, Chrismar Hotel, Lusaka. Dec 2-3, 2008.
Zambian Smallholder Farmer/Household Categorization Activity. Draft Set of Tables - Dec 1, 2008, ACF/FSRP by Tadeyo Lungu, Augustine Mutelekesha, Antony Chapoto, Margaret Beaver and Michael Weber. Handout to accompany MACO/SIDA ASP presentation.
Tourism and Wildlife Conservation in Africa: Measuring the Impacts to Rural Households. Robert B. Richardson and Ana Fernandez. Department of Agricultural, Food and Resource Economics (AFRE) Brown Bag Seminar Series. November 18, 2008.
Zambia Agricultural Policy: Finding a Balance Between Public Facilitation & Private Sector-Led Growth. Jones Govereh and Michael Weber. Food Security Research Project. Presentation at a Mini-Workshop on Agricultural Policy in Zambia, Chrismar Hotel, 7 Oct, 2008.
Import/Marketing Policy Options for Consumer Price Mitigation Actions in the 2008/09 Maize Marketing Season in Zambia. Presentation at a ZNFU Hosted Meeting of the Task Force on Rising Food Prices: Working Group on Transitional Issues. Lusaka, Sept 11, 2008. Extract from a Draft Concept Paper By The Food Security Research Project.
Targeting Challenges : Using Zambian Rural Household Data Sets to Inform The Process of Categorisation of Resource Poor Smallholder Farmers. By the Food Security Research Project, Kafue Gorge ACF Sponsored Workshop, Aug 20-22, 2008.
Information and Analysis to Improve Agricultural Productivity & Reduce Rural Poverty in Zambia. Jones Govereh, Michael Weber, Antony Chapoto and Steve Haggblade. Presentation at Seminar on Increasing Productivity in the Agricultural Sector to Contribute to the On-Going Macroeconomic Modeling Process Ministry of Finance and National Planning (MoFNP) - Tecla Lodge, Wed, 6th August, 2008
Fertilizer Subsidies and Sustainable Agricultural Growth in Africa: Current Issues and Empirical Evidence from Malawi, Zambia, and Kenya. Isaac Minde, T.S. Jayne, Joshua Ariga, Jones Govereh, and Eric Crawford. Presentation by Jones Govereh at the IFDC workshop on “Strengthening Trade in Agricultural Inputs in Africa: Issues and Options” Taj Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, 1-4 July, 2008.
Empirical Information on Smallholder Maize Production and Fertilizer Use In Zambia. Michael Weber. Presentation at Fertilizer Support Programme Evaluation Kick-Off Workshop. Protea Safari Lodge, Zambia. June 25-26, 2008
Patterns of Maize Farming Behavior and Performance Among Small- and Medium-Scale Smallholders in Zambia. A Review of Statistical Data From The CSO/MACO Crop Forecast Survey - 2000/2001 to 2007/2008 Production Seasons. By FSRP in cooperation with CSO and MACO to inform discussions on programs to deal with high food and input prices in 2008. Draft for comments, June 20, 2008.
Background for the Launch of the ACU Working Group on Cassava Policy Issues.
Steven Haggblade. ACU Task Force meeting. June 17, 2008. ACF Conference Room, Lusaka.
Findings from FSRP Research on Food Staples Markets: Implications for Investment Priorities to Promote Regional Trade. Jones Govereh, David Tschirley, and Michael Weber. Presentation for the ACTESA design team, Lusaka, Zambia, April 18, 2008.
2008 Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis: Comments from FSRP cooperating with MACO/ACF/CSO. Presented at Agricultural Consultative Forum Breakfast Meeting: What is in the 2008 National Budget for Zambian Agriculture? Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka. Jan 30, 2008
- Using the Market During Food Crises: What has been Learned in Southern Africa over the Past Decade? David Tschirley and Thom Jayne. Presented at Vulnerability to and Early Warning for Food Emergencies: Conceptual Issues and Practical Implementation. FAO Global Information and Early Warning System (GIEWS) on Food and Agriculture. FAO, Rome. December 6-7, 2007.
- WFP’s LRP Operations in Africa. Assessment and Thoughts on Ways Forward. David Tschirley. Presented at World Food Program, Rome. December 5, 2007.
- Price Unpredictability, Trade Policy, and the Demand for Food Staples in Eastern and Southern Africa : An Application of the ARCH Model. Antony Chapoto and T.S. Jayne. Workshop on Appropriate Trade Policies for Agricultural Development in a Globalizing World FAO, Rome. 10-11 December 2007.
- Fertilizer Promotion in Zambia: Learning from Regional Experience, and Strategies to Raise Smallholder Productivity. Thom Jayne, Jones Govereh, and Zhiying Xu. Presentation and discussion with Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives at the Agricultural Consultative Forum, November 30, 2007.
- Charcoal and Fuelwood Production: Implications for Poverty Reduction. Robert B. Richardson, Antony Chapoto, Michael Weber. Regional Science Association International North American Meetings, November 7-10, 2007.
- Security of Widows’ Access to Land in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Antony Chapoto, T.S. Jayne and N. Mason. Presented by Chitra Deshpande. Gender, Equity and Rural Employment Division at FAO Technical Consultation on Gender, Property Rights, and Livelihoods in the Era of AIDS. November 28-30, 2007. FAO Headquarters, Rome.
- ACF/FSRP/Cotton Industry Policy Dialogue: "Comparative Assessment of Cotton Sector Reform Experiences in Sub-Saharan Africa: What Can Zambia Learn About the Way Forward for It's Cotton Industry?" 27 Nov 07. ACF Conference Room, Lusaka, Zambia.
o Comparative Analysis of Cotton Sector Reforms in SSA. Overview of Approach and Broad Findings. David Tschirley.
o Input Credit Provision for Cotton Production Learning from African Neighbors and Meeting Zambia’s Challenges. Stephen Kabwe and David Tschirley.
o Performance on Pricing to Farmers. David Tschirley and Stephen Kabwe.
o Increasing Demand for Quality in World Cotton Markets. How has Zambia Performed? Stephen Kabwe and David Tschirley.
o Farm Yields and Returns to Farmers. David Tschirley and Stephen Kabwe.
“New Agriculture” & Implications for Information Development and Diffusion: Perspectives from Zambia. Jones Govereh and Mike Weber. FSRP/MSU Zambia. World AgInfo Workshop. November 11, 2007.
Pathways out of poverty in the new agriculture. John Staatz and Niama Nango Dembélé. Cornell International Workshops on Agricultural Education and Information Systems Workshop II: Pathways Out of Poverty. Livingstone, Zambia. November 11-16, 2007.
Zambia Agricultural Policy. Delivering Public Facilitation & Private Sector-Led Growth. FSRP/MATEP Research/Outreach Team. Presented to Finnish Delegation. Agricultural Consultative Forum (ACF), Lusaka Zambia. Septermber 25, 2007.
Security of Widows’ Access to Land in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Antony Chapoto, T.S. Jayne and N. Mason. PEGnet Conference, Berlin Germany September 6-7, 2007.
Vulnerability and Resilience of Social-Ecological Systems: Perspectives from Studies Underway in Zambia of Urban/Rural Food Marketing Systems. RIHN’s (Vulnerability and Resilience of Social-Ecological Systems) - First Lusaka Workshop, Sept 3, 2007. Prepared by M.T. Weber and the MACO/ACF/FSRP/MATEP Research/Outreach Team.
Under-appreciated Aspects of Smallholder Agriculture: Possible Implications for Information System Design. Thom Jayne and Colleagues, Food Security Research Project - Zambia. Presentation to Gates Foundation WorldAgInfo Project Design Team, Agricultural Consultative Forum, Lusaka, Zambia, August 13, 2007.
Regional Trade in Food Staples: Using Trade Policy to Improve Farmer Incentives and Food Security. Jones Govereh. Food Security Research Project, MACO/ACF/MSU. Presentation at the International Conference on Strengthen and Widening markets and Overcoming Supply Side Constraints for African Agriculture. Organized by the International Food and Trade Policy Council and the Partnership to Cut Hunger and Poverty in Africa. June 3-5, 2007.
Selected Comments on Zambia Budget Allocation in Agriculture & Maize and Fertilizer Marketing in Zambia. Presentation to Zambia PRBS Review Meeting By MACO/ACF/FSRP/MATEP Research/Outreach Team. Mulungushi International Conference Centre, Lusaka, Zambia, June 5, 2007.
Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis. Jones Govereh. Presentation to Farmer Organization Support Programme (FOSUP). Lusaka, Zambia. June 1, 2007.
Measuring Public Expenditures in Agriculture. Jones Govereh, Emma Malawo, T.S. Jayne, and P. Chilonda. Presented at the Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System for Southern Africa (ReSAKSS-SA), Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia, May 29, 2007.
Data Consideration in Measuring Public Expenditure in Agriculture: Illustrations Using the Case of Zambia. Presentation made by Jones Govereh at the Regional Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System for Southern Africa (ReSAKSS-SA), Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia, May 29, 2007.
An Effective Public-Private Coordination in Zambia’s Cotton Sector: Deliberation on the Cotton Act. Stephen Kabwe and David Tschirley. Presented at the Agricultural Consultative Forum. May, 2007.
Zambia’s Cassava Value Chain Task Force. Steve Haggblade. Presentation made to the SIDA Regional Resource Centre for Rural Development (RRD) regional meetings for East and Southern Africa on "Linking small-scale producers and processors access to dynamic and restructured local, regional and international markets for high value products". Frangilla, Zambia. May 16, 2007.
Testimony to the Parliamentary Committees on Agriculture and Lands on Agricultural Marketing and Finance Systems in Zambia, by the Food Security Research Project. National Assembly,Parliament Building, Lusaka. May 2, 2007
o Written Submission
o Oral Presentation
Zambia: Trends in growth of modern retail and wholesale chains and related agribusiness. Information Sheet - April 2007. Munguzwe Hichaambwa (FSRP), Hyde Haantuba and Masiye Nawiko (ACF). Outreach Sheet, published by Regoverning Markets.
A Comparison of Maize Price Stability between Countries Supporting and Restricting Regional Trade. Antony Chapoto and T.S. Jayne. 2nd African Grain Trade Summit Nairobi, Kenya, April 18-19, 2007.
Dynamics of Zambia's Cassava Markets. Steven Haggblade. Presentation to the Acceleration of Cassava Utilization Task Force Round One Stakeholders' Workshop, Agricultural Consultative Forum, Lusaka, Zambia, February 1, 2007.
Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis. FSRP. MACO/ACF/CSO/MSU. Lusaka, Zambia. Feb 2007.
- Magoye Ripper: An Evaluation of Benefits and Problems. Stephen Kabwe, Cynthia Donovan, and David Samazaka. Presentation to MACO Staff. Lusaka, 24 November, 2006.
- MACO/FSRP/MATEP Policy Dialogue. "Achievements, Challenges and Opportunities for Continued Poverty Alleviation and Growth in the Agricultural Sector in Zambia". 27-29 November 2006. Fringilla Lodge, Lusaka.
- The COMESA CAADP Priority Countries: Rwanda, Malawi, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia. Ambassador N. L. Hussainy – COMESA
- Agricultural Growth and Poverty Trends in Zambia: Key Findings. Jones Govereh and FSRP colleagues.
- Objectives and Volume of Public Investments in Zambia’s Agriculture. Julius Shawa, Jones Govereh, Steven Haggblade, and Emma Malawo.
- Composition of Zambian Public Spending on Agriculture. Jones Govereh, Steven Haggblade, Emma Malawo and Julius Shawa.
- Proposed Agricultural Marketing Act (AMA) Concept – Update Notes. Green Mbozi.
- Agricultural Credit Act Amendment Process – Update Notes. Green Mbozi.
- Making Maize Markets Work for Zambian Small Farmers, Traders & Consumers. FSRP/MATEP Research/Outreach Team.
- Regional Maize Trade: Implications for Food Security & Agricultural Growth. Mupelwa Sichilima.
- Evaluation of Farmer Use of the Magoye Ripper. Stephen Kabwe, Cynthia Donovan. Presentation made to GART and CFU Staff. Chisamba, 21 November, 2006.
- Proceeding of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and the Food Security Research Project Policy Dialogue: Achievements, Challenges and Opportunities for Continued Poverty Alleviation and Growth in the Agricultural Sector in Zambia. Held at Fringilla Lodge, Lusaka, Zambia on 27-29th November, 2006.
- Security of Widows’ Access to Land in the Era of HIV/AIDS: Panel Survey Evidence from Zambia. Antony Chapoto, T.S. Jayne and N. Mason. Brown Bag, African Studies Center. Michigan State University. September 21, 2006.
- Maize Yield Response to Fertilizer and Profitability of Fertilizer Use Among Small-Scale Maize Producers in Zambia, Zhiying Xu and T.S. Jayne. Contributed paper, International Association of Agricultural Economics Tri-Annual Meetings, Gold Coast, Australia, August 12-18, 2006.
- Factors Affecting Small Farmers’ Use of Improved Maize Technologies: Evidence from Kenya and Zambia, T.S. Jayne, J. Govereh, Z. Xu, J. Ariga, and E. Mghenyi. Presented at Symposium on Seed-Fertilizer Technology, Cereal Productivity and Pro-Poor Growth in Africa: Time for New Thinking? Symposium held at the International Association of Agricultural Economics Tri-Annual Meetings, Gold Coast, Australia, August 12-18, 2006.
- Understanding Zambia's Domestic Fresh Produce Value Chains. Munguzwe Hichaambwa and David Tschirley. Presented at the first domestic horticultural sector stakeholder meeting on 8 August 2006, Lusaka
- Crop Marketing and Regional Maize Markets Outreach Sessions at ACF Secretariat - July 7, 2006
- Strategic Options for Achieving Growth and Poverty Reduction: The Role of Markets. Thom Jayne, with input from colleagues at MSU. Presentation at the Workshop on "Bridging Knowledge Gaps to Achieve Agricultural Growth and Reduce Poverty and Hunger in Africa through the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP), hosted by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in collaboration with the New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD), June 20-21, Washington, D.C.
- Maize Price Projections for the 2006/07 Marketing Season. By Steve Haggblade, FSRP. Article in Zambian Farmers Magazine, June 2006
- Workshop with the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MACO): Presentation/Discussion of the Agricultural Input Marketing (AIM) Plan. May 13, 2006
- Maize in Eastern and Southern Africa: "Seeds" of Success in Retrospect. T.S. Jayne and Melinda Smale, presentation at the conference on "Championing Agricultural Successes for Africa's Future in Support of the Comprehensive Africa Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP), May 15-18, 2006, Somerset West, South Africa.
- Zambia Herald Business News rerport on FSRP presentation at the the Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis meeting, organized by the Agricultural Consultative Forum, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, February 7, 2006.
- Proceedings of the Presentation on Resource Allocation for Agriculture to the Parliamentary Committees on Agriculture and Lands and Economic Affairs and Labour by the Food Security Research Project. Held at Gemister Enterprises, Rhodes Park, Lusaka. February 1, 2006
- Analysis and Outreach Discussion of 2006 Agricultural Sector Budget: FSRP/MACO/ACF/CSO. Lusaka. Feb, 2006
- 2006 Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis. FSRP presentation at the Agricultural Sector Budget Analysis meeting, organized by the Agricultural Consultative Forum, Pamodzi Hotel, Lusaka, February 7, 2006
- Resource Allocation for Agriculture. FSRP presentation and discussions on GRZ 2006 budget allocation to the Agricultural Sector with Parliamentary Sub-Committees for Agriculture and Lands, and for Finance, Gemister Conference Centre, February 1, 2006, Lusaka.
- Public Resource Allocation and Agricultural Competitiveness. FSRP presentation and discussion with Private Sector Development Group, including representatives of the World Bank, SIDA, DFID, JICA, EU, MATEP, and USAID. USAID Conference Room, Lusaka, January 30, 2006.
- Trends in Agricultural and Policy Indicators in Zambia. J.Govereh, T. Jayne, N. Mason and A. Chapoto. SAKSS Issue Paper No.1. Strategic Analysis and Knowledge Support System for Southern Africa (SAKSS-SA). IWMI and ICRISAT Publication, 2006.
- Impact of HIV/AIDS-Related Mortality on Rural Farm Households in Zambia: Implications for Poverty Reduction Strategies. A. Chapoto and T.S. Jayne. Presented at the IUSSP Seminar on “Interactions between Poverty and HIV/AIDS”. Capetown, South Africa. 12-13 December 2005.
- Preliminary Results from the FSRP/GART Magoye Ripper Study 2005. S. Kabwe and A. Mwanaumo. Presented at the Golden Valley Research Trust, along with collaborator David Samazaka of GART, held on December 9, 2005 at GART.
- Factors Affecting Zambian Maize Prices in 2005 Ballard Zulu. FSRP presentation to the Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Hon. Mundia Sikatana, the Permanent Secretary Mr. Richard Chizyuka, Lusaka, members of the Millers Association of Zambia, members of the Grain Traders Association, and senior MACO officials, Mulungushi House, Lusaka, December 7, 2005.
- The Magoye Ripper: Preliminary Findings on Adoption, Benefits and Constraints. Stephen Kabwe and Cynthia Donovan. Draft article for the Golden Valley Agricultural Research Trust (GART) Yearbook of 2006. Magoye, Zambia, December 2005.
- Strategies to Improve Zambia’s Cotton Sector Performance. Ballard Zulu. Presentation at the Zambia Cotton Association Conference, Mulungushi Conference Center, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Lusaka, November 24, 2005.
- How Can Markets Respond Better to the 2005/06 Food Crisis: Evidence from Zambia. Thom Jayne and the Zambia Food Security Research Project. Presentation at the Regional Trade, Growth and Emergency Response: Strategic Options for Dealing with Recurrent Food Crises in Southern Africa. Round Table Discussion facilitated by Michigan State University Food Security III Cooperative Agreement. Thursday, November 17, 2.00 - 4:30 pm, RR Building Mezzanine Conference Room.
- Vision of Donor Support for Agricultural Growth and Poverty Reduction in sub-Saharan Africa. T.S Jayne presentation at All-Party Parliamentary Group on Overseas Development ODI / London, UK. November 1, 2005.
- Impact Of HIV/AIDS-Related Mortality On Rural Farm Households In Zambia: Implications For Poverty Reduction Strategies. Antony Chapoto and T.S Jayne. Paper presented at the IUSSP Seminar on “ Interactions between Poverty and HIV/AIDS”. 12-13 December 2005. Capetown, South Africa. Draft. Nov. 2005.
- Materials prepared for the FANRPAN 2005 Regional Multi-Stakeholder Public Policy Dialogue. Theme: Creating A Conducive Policy Environment For A Food Secure SADC. 4-7 October 2005 .
- SADC Recovery, Food Security And Trade Policies: Making Markets Work For Smallholders Farmers In SADC by Chairperson: Mr. S. Pazvakavambwa, Secretary for Agriculture- Zimbabwe. (ppt) (paper forthcoming).
- Improving Maize Marketing and Trade Policies To Promote Household Food Security in Central and Southern Mozambique By Danilo Abdula, David Tschirley, and Michael Weber. (ppt).
- Learning from the 2002/03 Food Crisis in Southern Africa: Lessons for the Current Year by Pedro Arlindo, David Tschirley, Jan Nijhoff, Billy Mwiinga, Michael T. Weber, and T.S. Jayne. (ppt).
- Toward a Regional Framework for Effective Policy Responses to the Emerging Food Crisis in Southern Africa by Anthony Mwanaumo, Hyde Haantuba, Pedro Arlindo, Danilo Abdula, T.S. Jayne, David Tschirley, Jan Nijhoff, Michael Weber, Cynthia Donovan, and John Staatz. (ppt).
- Opportunities to Improve Household Food Security Through Promoting Informal Maize Marketing Agents: Experience From Eastern Cape Province, South Africa by L. Ndibongo-Traub and T.S. Jayne. (ppt) (paper forthcoming).
- Sustained Use of Conservation Farming Practices by Small and Medium Scale Farmer in Zambia. Stephen Kabwe of FSRP team presented this paper at the III World Congress on Conservation Agriculture held in Nairobi Kenya, October 3-7, 2005. (ppt)
- FSRP (Jan Nijhoff and Ballard Zulu) participated in a MACO maize marketing policy meeting, discussing AMDP (export ban, levies, FRA issues), October, 2005.
- Where Should Public and Donor Investments be Targeted? T.S. Jayne, A. Mwanaumo, J. Govereh, B. Zulu, and J. K. Nyoro. Presentation at 1st Regional Grain Trade Summit. October 12-13, Nairobi, Kenya.
- FSRP Briefing on Small Farmer Maize Marketing Behavior and Implications for Maize Marketing Policy in Zambia. Ballard Zulu . Presented at the USAID Briefing on the Current Food Situation. USAID mission, Lusaka, September, 2005.
- Key Issues in the Agricultural Sector in Zambia. Ballard Zulu. Presented at the Zambia International Business Advisory Council (ZIBAC) Meeting, Sun Hotel, Livingstone, Zambia, 1-5 September 2005.
- Agricultural Input Market Development Plan. Jones Govereh. Presentation to MACO officials, NGOs, and private sector stakeholders, Agricultural Consultative Forum, Lusaka, August 2005.
- Using Empirical Information in the Era of HIV/AIDS to Inform Mitigation and Rural Development Strategies: Selected Results from African Country Studies. Presentation by D. Mather at American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, Principal Paper Session 1: What Role for Agricultural Economists in Addressing the HIV/AIDS Pandemic? Providence, Rhode Island, July 25th, 2005.
- Smallholder Maize Market Structure and Behaviour. B.A. Zulu, T.S Jayne. Presentation at the Smallholder Agricultural Commercialization Strategy Workshop, Protea Lodge, Chisamba, Lusaka, 7 July 2005.
- Profitability of Fertilizer Use on Maize by Small-Scale Farming Households in Zambia. Z. Xu, T. Jayne, R. Black, and J. Govereh. Selected Paper presented at the American Agricultural Economics Association Annual Meeting, July 24-27, 2005, Providence, Rhode Island. 2005.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives/Food Security Research Project Policy Retreat, June 25-26, 2005, Chisamba, Zambia.
- Meeting with PS Chizyuka to introduce FSRP to him and discuss the agenda for the June policy retreat, June 7, 2005.
- FSRP participated in a meeting at FAO where FAO and WFP presented their crop and food security assessment report. Technical input was provided by FSRP on crop supply and demand estimates using 2005 CFS data, Lusaka, May 19, 2005.
- Donovan and Haantuba (MACO) met with District Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives staff on the establishment of the Eastern Province Market Information System, a collaborative effort with MACO and EPCCI. Meetings with private sector stakeholders included Clarke Cotton, Eastern Province Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and Radio Breeze FM. Chipata, Zambia, May 18-20, 2005.
- Characteristics of Individuals Afflicted by AIDS-related Mortality in Rural Zambia. Chapoto, A. and T. Jayne. Paper presented at the RENEWAL/IFPRI Conference on Integrating HIV/AIDS with Food and Nutrition Security: From Evidence to Action. April 13-16, 2005, Durban, South Africa.
- FSRP participated in a MACO maize marketing policy meeting, discussing FRA pricing, export ban and maize market interventions, Mulungushi House, Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Lusaka, February 23, 2005.
- Jan Nijhoff, Anthony Mwanaumo, and Mike Weber attended IEHA planning meeting in Pretoria, discussing establishment of regional and national SAKSS, Pretoria, South Africa, 3-5 Februay, 2005.
- Competition and Coordination in Cotton Market Systems in Southern and Eastern Africa. Cross-Country Workshop International Cotton Workshop, Protea Lodge, Chisamba, Zambia, 1-2 February, 2005.
- Competition and Coordination in Cotton Market Systems in Southern and Eastern Africa Project. Imperial College, UK.
- Jan Nijhoff attended DFID program planning, with focus on maize and fertilizer marketing, January 20, 2005.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives Policy Retreat, December 4-5, 2004, Livingstone, Zambia.
- FSRP was invited to a workshop on the Soil fertility Consortium for Southern Africa. The workshop was aimed at discussing the synthesis of the CF work that has been done in Zambia so that it feeds in the regional work plan. The Soil Fertility Consortium for Southern Africa would be funded by the Rockfeller Foundation. Participants of the workshop came from Ministry of Agriculture & Cooperatives, NGO and other private institutions, Nairobi, Kenya, December 9, 2004.
- FSRP Worked with Agricultural Consultative Forum (ACF) to come up with guidelines of synopsis on the advantages of adopting conservation farming. Participants in two meetings came from Conservation Farming Unit, University Of Zambia and Agricultural Consultative Forum.
- Donovan, Mwiinga, and Haantubu met with MACO District marketing and cooperative officers and the participants in EPAMIS from EPCCI and elsewhere, on the organization of EPAMIS. Chipata, Zambia November, 2004.
- Early Evidence on Conservation Farming in Zambia. Steven Haggblade and Gelson Tembo. A paper prepared for the International Workshop on “Reconciling Rural Poverty and Resource Conservation: Identifying Relationships and Remedies”. Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. May 2-3, 2003.
- The Recent Cassava Surge in Zambia and Malawi. Steven Haggblade and Ballard Zulu. Paper presented at the InWEnt, IFPRI, NEPAD, CTA conference "Successes in African Agriculture", Pretoria, December 1-3, 2003.